Mark Thomas wrote:
Anand Gundanna wrote:
Dear Support,

I would request for your help in regards to Tomcat Patch Management. I hope you will be helpful in this regard. We have installed and configured an Tomcat web server on windows server platform for an application called Business Objects XI. Tomcat web servers will not be supported/maintained by our web services team as it is non strategic within our organisation. But still we have hosted the Tomcat servers as it is mandated by Business Objects application. Now the Tomcat Web server has been successfully installed and configured. We need to plan for Patch management for Tomcat. At the moment we do not have any external/third party tool to manage the patches automatically. So, could you please clarify the following queries..

1) What is the best procedure/practice to keep Tomcat up-to-date with patches?

There are no patches, only full releases.

2) How frequently does Tomcat releases patches/updates and how critical it is for an internal application?

~3 per year. How critical is your call. If it ain't broke...

3) Does Tomcat have any built in tool/feature to download and update patches automatically?

Nope.

Please let me know if you know any other easy option/solution for Tomcat Patch Management.

There are commercial support provides that will provide simpler patch
management options.
Or safer bet, depending on how well the application is designed (and how critical it is)... install a staging server with the new Tomcat release, and copy the application over and test.
I do not know of any 100% proof patch/upgrade for any software.
Mark

Regards

Gabe Wong
NGASI AppServer Manager
JAVA AUTOMATION and SaaS Enablement for Cloud Computing
http://www.ngasi.com
NEW! FREE Developer account for Hosted version on Amazon EC2