> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Does Tomcat do the same thing as Apache? ie http; as well as the bonus of
> java?

Yes, with reservations.  Tomcat's a Web server in its own right - and a pretty
fast one, in its modern versions.  You'll saturate your network bandwidth long
before you saturate your CPU.  It's tuned for serving static content and Java
web application content.  It *can* serve other content via custom webapps and
filters, but in my opinion this is less well developed than the facilities in
Apache httpd (what most people call "Apache").

> I am using PhP, and would to like to also have Java/AJAX?J2EE on my web
> page, and I am not sure if I need both Apache and Tomcat, or can just use
> Tomcat? (I dont know if it will do everything that Apache does plus more?)

httpd has more modules available, and is probably a better choice as your
front-end if you're running several different active server technologies such
as PHP and Java.  Tomcat *can* serve PHP, but as far as I'm aware the
integration is slower than httpd's.  I've not done it, however - can anyone who
has comment on performance?

If you do run httpd in front of Tomcat, you do of course have the integration
job to do.  The appropriate version of the docs at http://tomcat.apache.org
will, of course, be of benefit :-).  I'd go with Tomcat 6 unless you have a
good reason to use an older version.

- Peter