Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help me with my particular issue. I have a memory leak in one of my apps, and when the system runs out of memory, it stops responding to new requests. I have a script that will detect this condition and automatically restart Tomcat. I was hoping to add a jstack command to this script to give me a thread dump prior to restarting Tomcat to give me better troubleshooting information. Your solution would work under normal circumstances, but I don't know how to script a ctrl+break. ;-)

OK... I couldnt resist giving it a little go... JHat is exactly what you looking for...
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jfarcand/archive/2006/02/using_mustangs.html

Well done Sun... its exactly what I've been looking for...

Let the server run a little.... do a dump, run the server and then from the browser to the HIST option...

The highest non Sun class... webapp class... is going to be the bad guy ;)

Damn thats nice...

The only real POJO Application Server.