Considering my own occasional sniping at Chuck here, it kills me to have
to say this, but I don't want anyone to look falsely in the wrong
direction maybe.  One particularity of this Tomcat 5.5 on platform B,
compared to the others, is that it was set up via the standard Linux
Debian package mechanism, which kinda puts links all over the place.

The error below seems to indicate an error even opening the WAR file
though, so I don't know if that can cause the problem we see.

java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file
   at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:203)

I'm not Chuck, and i'm not a tomcat expert, but according to your
server configuration and as far as i understand these 3 lines from your log, java is looking to some native code to unzip the WAR file, which is huffman's compressed (yes, war files can be unzipped).

I had recently to configure a Debian (etch) production server and i
had to manually install the "zip" and "unzip" debian package (only
gunzip was installed "out of the box"). (But anyway i choosed to install tomcat from the official apache tomcat server, instead of the Debian package - no time to check and compare their modifications to the 100% original binary distribution.)

Regards,

--
Albrecht ANDRZEJEWSKI
Créateur - Incubateur Technologique