> From: Gary Hirschhorn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Classes in tomcat\server\lib folder sometimes are
> visible to web application
>
> According to this documentation, classes in this jar
> should be TOTALLY invisible to web applications.

That's not quite the case.  Classes outside of a given classloader's branch can
not be *loaded* by that classloader.  However, if references to instances of
such "outside" classes are made available to code from the classloader branch
of interest, that code can use those objects.

Nearly all of Tomcat's code, including the classloaders, request/response
wrappers, servlet API handlers, etc., are in server/lib, yet are obviously used
by application servlet code.

> So I understand why it does not work (class should not
> be visible), but why does it ever work?

Without seeing the code, it's difficult to even speculate.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.