My end solution ended up being to modify
$CATALINA_ROOT/conf/context.xml and put the JNDI data source
definition there. While I agree that modifying global server files is
less than ideal it is by far the simplest solution: It's only one
resource element that has to be added, it requires no modification to
deployment scripts, and solves the problem of site-specific data
source.

I left non site-specific servlet context configuration in each
servlet's web.xml.

Then, I moved site-specific servlet context parameters into the
database. This ended up working out really nicely for a number of
reasons.

Everything is much more convenient now. Thanks for all your advice.

Jason

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Christopher Schultz