Dears,

.         A Servlet deployed on tomcat 5

.         The Servlet connects to a database (Oracle 10 g) to perform a DML
statement

.         A lookup to a Data source was performed once

.         I used the data source to open a connection to the database for each
new request and close the connection by the end of the request.

The above scenario resulted in very poor scalability during the stress
testing. When the average response time for 1 thread was x msec, the average
response time for 2 threads was 2x and 3 threads was 3x and so on.

When I created a pool of connections (15 connections) in the Servlet and
kept the connections of this pool alive the scalability improved. The
average response time for a 150 concurrent threads was slightly higher than
the average response time for 1 thread.

Please advice why the poor performance when I used tomcat data source.

Best regards