John Shilling wrote:
I am looking at having to support tens or even hundres of instances of our
web application in an ASP Model.
We basically do this now using a single Tomcat instance with multiple webapps (https://host.com/App1/, https//host.com/App2/ etc....) and don't use virtual servers because we use SSL, and to make that work, you'd need multiple IP addresses, multiple keystores and multiple SSL certs. In our model, that's not a requirement.

We're only doing about 50 webapps per Tomcat now, so whether it could do hundreds, is hard to say. Also, obviously, it depends on the networking, memory, processor and disk capabilities to support all of those. I mean, if one webapp is doing millions of transactions per day, you may find few servers that could handle lots of those together, and if one is transferring lots of data in and out, it could hog up bandwidth, etc. And of course one webapps usage will impact the performance of others, so you'll probably need to balance webapps as you scale up.

Each of our webapps can run different versions of our base software, but as mentioned before, they all must run on the same version of Tomcat and Java -- and in and our case, the same version of the backend PostgreSQL database which hosts a database per webapp.
It's worked well for us so far.

David