We have 60 instances of tomcat 5.X running on an RHEL4 server. Each instance
runs a copy of basically the same application, each for a different customer.

According to their respective status pages, the tomcats are all configured to
use a maximum of 64MB memory, but most peak at around 48MB.

However, in 'top' I see that all of the java processes have a virtual image
size of approximately 256MB. The resident sizes of the java processes vary
wildly from 32MB to 147MB.

Can someone help me understand why tomcat is configured to use 64MB, but claims
to peak at 48MB, but has resident size of 147MB, and a virtual size of 256MB,
while other instances of tomcat have java processes with a resident size of
32MB?

Note that these numbers were captured in the middle of the night, after all
tomcats had been restarted, and nobody is using the system.

--Eric

Disclaimer - December 15, 2008
solely for Tomcat Users List,Tomcat Users List. If you are not the named
addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any
views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and
might not represent those of . Warning: Although  has taken reasonable
precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot
accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email
or attachments.