> From: kashif_tomcat [mailto:kas...@vopium.com]
> our Tomcat 6 server is running on a RHL machine with 4 GB Ram.

32-bit or 64-bit OS?

> JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms1024M -Xmx2048M -XX:PermSize=128m
> -XX:MaxPermSize=128m"

You probably want to make -Xms and -Xmx the same.  There's no point fragmenting
the heap if you don't need to.

> server is working fine with these parameters but i wnt to
> know that are
> these parameters fine with my application or i need to change them for
> better performance?

You are the only person who can answer that question, by monitoring and
profiling your application.  Performance is often 1% Tomcat and 99% application.

> with these parameters most of time i get following stats when
> i execute free
> -m command on server in peak hours (or something like that).
>
> [r...@vopium ~]# free -m
>              total       used       free     shared
> buffers     cached
> Mem:          4050       3622        428          0
> 385       2335

Looks healthy enough.

> NOTE: only apache and tomcat is running on this machine. no
> other heavy service running on this server.

Why are you running Apache httpd as well as Tomcat?  "Because the book told me
to" or because you have a real need for it?

                - Peter