On 7Jan, 2009, at 10:40, Dennis Thrysøe wrote:
Hi,

I have a tomcat 6 setup on linux (CentOS 5) and see some odd behaviour.

There are some JSP's that include (in a custom tag with pageContext.include()) static HTML resources that are in the webapp.

However, when such HTML files are added or modified to the webapp (exploded directory) it takes something like 5 or 10 seconds before they can be served by tomcat.

Direct access to the filesystem sees the new file but tomcat says that the resource cannot be found. When modifying a HTML file tomcat keeps serving the old version for some seconds.

The same seems to be a problem for images which are added to the webapp at runtime. These are requested directly (not included obviously).

Changing the "modificationTestInterval" for the JSP servlet does not seem to have effect. (And the HTML is not served by the JSP servlet anyway, right?)

I have now found a potential explanation with the help of a good debugger: StandardContext.setCacheTTL()

This method seems to be altering the TTL of the context cache (ProxyDirContext via BaseDirContext) that is used by DefaultServlet which is serving my HTML files )from the default 5 seconds).

I am, however, unable to find any configuration that can be used to control this caching? I am interested in getting the latest file version always.

Otherwise I might need to implement serving of static resources in a servlet myself?

Thanks,

-dennis

--
Geysir IT