On Jan 12, 2009, at 6:08 PM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

But how do I serve them without a servlet to do it?

You don't have to serve them - Tomcat's DefaultServlet does it for you, just as it does for all static resources.

How do I set the value of the location element in the
error page declaration:
So that tomcat will grab a static HTML page from disk?

You normally would put static error pages in a separate directory, so that they will not be processed by any of your servlets.

I see the conflict in my design now:

I mapped one of my servlets to be the default servlet:

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>hyrax</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>*</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

And since it doesn't serve static content like the Tomcat DefaultServlet, I'm not seeing the expected behavior for the error- page mappings. Which is kind of a bummer: People pretty much rely on the fact that the service defaults to the "hyrax" servlet.

Is sendError() using a redirect?

No, more like an internal forward.

I just did some more testing and discovered that if I don't actually call response.setStatus() in my docs servlet (which serves the static content) then it seems to inherit(?) a status from the "internal forward" .

Is that right? Would I be better off just not calling response.setStatus() unless something actually goes awry with the request?

= = =
Nathan Potter                        ndp at opendap.org
OPeNDAP, Inc.                        541.752.1852