On Jan 14, 2009, at 1:38 PM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

From: Nathan Potter [mailto:n...@opendap.org]
Subject: Re: Tomcat returns HTTP status of 200 when
HttpServletResponse.sendError() called.

I mapped one of my servlets to be the default servlet:
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>hyrax</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>*</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

And since it doesn't serve static content like the Tomcat
DefaultServlet, I'm not seeing the expected behavior for
the error-page mappings.

If you don't want to rewrite your mappings (and probably program logic), then isolate your static content - including error pages - to some particular branch of your directory tree and put in a mapping for the existing DefaultServlet to handle it.

So do you mean something like this?

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>default</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>
              org.apache.catalina.servlets.DefaultServlet
            </servlet-class>
        <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>default</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/err/*</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

And I place all of my default error pages in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ myContext/err/

- Chuck

= = =
Nathan Potter                        ndp at opendap.org
OPeNDAP, Inc.                        541.752.1852