Hi Chuck,

thanks again for all your helpyour help. I'm nearly there...just a few more
queries...My user variables setting was taking precendence over system (was
set to a 1.6 JRE) so thats why it wasn't starting.

to get started.. i ran the service.bat to install as a service (is this
permanent?)
I then ran the service manager and service runner in the bin folder and
tomcat appears in the list of processes in task manager.
all seems good so far. Is this all I need to do?
Is this how I should always start?

Finally...when i run Netbeans and try to add Tomcat as a server it is never
visible? just Glassfish and WeRuby. If I select 'add server' it assumes I
want to add a Glassfish server and wont let me select Tomcat. Netbeans
doesn't know its there...

Thanks again,
Toriacht