> From: Michael Ludwig [mailto:mil...@gmx.de]
> Subject: Re: UnsatisfiedLinkError in Windows Service (tomcat6w/5w.exe)
>
> Turns out the Tomcat service does not disregard the PATH. It needs the
> directory in the PATH, and *in addition* to be present in the PATH the
> directory has to be included in the Java property java.library.path.

Something's definitely wrong here; there shouldn't be any reason to have to
specify the library twice.  The Windows version of the JVM initialization code
only looks at PATH if the java.library.path system property has not been set to
anything; there's no code anywhere that I'm aware of that will concatenate PATH
and java.library.path.

If you don't mind running another experiment, please start Tomcat as a service
once with and once without the -Djava.library.path setting in the Java tab of
tomcat6w.exe, and use LambdaProbe or JConsole to examine the system properties.
 If -Djava.library.path is not set, you should see the system property set to
the PATH value prefixed with Tomcat's bin directory and the current directory
(.); if -Djava.library.path is set, the system property should be just the
value from the -D.  If you're seeing something different than the above,
there's probably a typo somewhere, so please post what the diagnostic tools
display.

(Just for reference, I'm using Tomcat 6.0.18 and JDK 1.6.0_11 on Vista 64.)

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.