> From: allen.ir...@smartintegration.com.au
> [mailto:allen.ir...@smartintegration.com.au]
> Subject: Connection Pooling questions
>
> I configure it using the suggested /META-INF/context.xml with:
> maxActive="30" maxIdle="10"

Post your entire context.xml so we can see the rest of the <Resource> element.
Your settings may conflict with what the database expects, resulting in
orphaned connections.

> I assumed that maxActive would limit the total amount of DB
> connections that could ever be open at one time (in this case 30).

That limits the number the pool is managing.  If the pool considers some of
them to be abandoned or in error, the number the DB knows about may be higher.

> Yet from what I see it seems like I am limited to maxActive + maxIdle
> connections open (in this case 40).  Is that true?

Don't think so.

> Also, the default behavior seems to be that the connections
> never close within the pool when they are not being used.

That is the whole point of having a pool.

> I do close the connections within my program using conn.close();

The evidence suggests otherwise.  You also need to close result sets and
statements associated with the connection, and all of the close() calls should
be in a finally block to insure they always get executed.

> I thought that when the connections were not used that they
> would over time be "really" closed and I would end up with
> the maxIdle value of 10 open connections within my Pool.

That usually depends entirely on how your DB is configured; if it has a high
timeout value (most do), the connections will persist for a long time.  You can
configure a timeout value for the pool to evict idle connections, but that's
disabled by default.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.