Yes! And also, close out any other connections that may be embedded, like a
prepared statement, result set or stored procedure. These will also show that a
connection is still opened if not explicitly closed!

-----Original Message-----
From: allen.ir...@smartintegration.com.au
[mailto:allen.ir...@smartintegration.com.au]
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:43 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Connection Pooling questions

 Do I have to turn on some kind of cleanup explicitly?

I do close the connections within my program using conn.close(); as the howto
suggests. I thought that when the connections were not used that they would
over time be "really" closed and I would end up with the maxIdle value of 10
open connections within my Pool.

thanks!