Hi,

I'm experiencing a really ugly readtimout problem in the production system
started a couple of days ago. The main problem is that there is no way to
reproduce it at all and it happens only on the production boxes aprox 5
times at every hour.

We have a Cisco load balancer up front (no session stickiness) and 3 tomcat
instances (version 5.5) in the back and the site is over the SSL ( between
client and LoadBalance)

My first thought was that the problems happens when the client connection is
really slow, but unfortunately not :(.
I've also checked the LoadBalancer configuration for strange rules or packet
rejection policies but nothing ... anyway the error occurs only on HTTP POST
and it seams that there is no request body is delivered, it is just the
header.

Does somebody has some ideas ? Or at least what can I do in order to
reproduce it ?

I’ve check the request header info and the request are coming from different
IPs and from browsers agents ( IE6, IE7 )

The stack trace is the following:

                at
java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:129)
                at
org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalInputBuffer.fill(InternalInputBuffer.java:748)
                at
org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalInputBuffer$InputStreamInputBuffer.doRead(InternalInputBuffer.java:778)
                at
org.apache.coyote.http11.filters.IdentityInputFilter.doRead(IdentityInputFilter.java:116)
                at
org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalInputBuffer.doRead(InternalInputBuffer.java:713)
                at org.apache.coyote.Request.doRead(Request.java:419)
                at
org.apache.catalina.connector.InputBuffer.realReadBytes(InputBuffer.java:265)
                at
org.apache.catalina.connector.InputBuffer.realReadChars(InputBuffer.java:311)
                at
org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.CharChunk.substract(CharChunk.java:412)
                at
org.apache.catalina.connector.InputBuffer.read(InputBuffer.java:348)
                at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteReader.read(CoyoteReader.java:105)
                at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteReader.readLine(CoyoteReader.java:154)