On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Caldarale, Charles R
<chuck.caldar...@unisys.com> wrote:
>> I installed them on Windows 2008 x64, and could not get a
>> response from Tomcat, if coming from the net.  The local
>> browser would pull it up just fine.
>
> Tomcat (with or without APR) doesn't care if the request
> came via loopback or ethernet.  If it worked from the local
> browser, your firewall may be blocking the port from
> remote access.

Another variable to throw into the mix, just for fun -- do you have a
proxy? Squid doing a little web-caching perhaps? That can mess you up
as well.

Try
   telnet ip.address.here 8080
   GET / HTTP/1.0

(follow the GET with a blank line) and see if you get any HTML back.
You can try it from the same computer and/or other computers nearby.

If you do get an appropriate HTTP response, Tomcat is well and you've
got other issues. If you can't open the port at all, Tomcat isn't
listening. If you can open the port but Tomcat doesn't play nice with
an HTTP response, your configuration needs attention.

--
will trillich
"Our only real economic security lies in our power to meet human