Hassan, I don't think that the goals are contradictory, because each goal
applies to its own group of users: our customer users and everybody else.
Customer users should not have to enter user name and password, but
everybody else should.

Also, in general it is possible to authenticate a user without requiring the
user to enter the user name and password in the application, e.g. NTLM-based
authentication or authentication based on the client's IP address.

I am glad that you made me think about this, because maybe it is possible to
extend Tomcat authentication to also use client IP address or domain?

Can you think of any other ways to have two different authentication
mechanisms for the same servlet?

Thanks!