I have a servlet that sends and listens to a local UDP service.  To
allow this, I established the following policy:

grant codebase "file:${catalina.base}/webapps/modbus/-" {
        permission java.net.SocketPermission "localhost:502", "connect";

};

This allowed packets out to the external service, but not responses.
I changed it as follows:

grant codebase "file:${catalina.base}/webapps/modbus/-" {
        permission java.net.SocketPermission "localhost:502",
"connect,accept,listen";

};

and it started working.

The client library in question creates a DatagramSocket(), then calls
receive() on it with a timeout.  Before adding "accept,listen" t
always timed out.

Version information:
        Tomcat/6.0.18
        JVM     1.6.0_13-b03    Sun Microsystems Inc
        O/S Linux       2.6.28-13-server        i386

Here's my question: if this was failing, why didn't it throw a
SecurityException?  It would have been less challenging to figure out
what was going on had there been one.

--Chris