It seems if I can see all sessions that are started and stopped using
SessionListener, there should be no reason why we can't get the sessions
auto-built from session persistence when Tomcat restarts a web app,
too.  Any tricks to figure this out?

Try reading the reply I wrote about 9 hours ago.

Boy, I was watching the list, so it must have been spam filtered on me or something. Anyway, you (Mark) mention using HttpSessionActivationListener, but what's the trick to make that work so on startup I can find all the sessions automatically created by Tomcat from the serialized session file?

My first attempt was to implement those two methods in my class that already implements HttpSessionListener, but these methods were never called. On closer reading, it appears that this is an interface to be implemented by an object that I then store in the session attributes. Do I create an object that implements HttpSessionActivationListener, store that in all sessions so on restart Tomcat will then notify those objects that they have been activated so I can then store the session info in my list?
Thanks,
David