2009/8/11 Dan Denton <dden...@remitpro.com>:
> (...)
> Sorry to be a pest, but I'd really appreciate any input from the community on
> this. I could always use JDK 5, but my developers would like to use 6 and I
> don't see a logical reason why such a major release would have so much
> negative impact on tomcat 6, or the host OS.

Re: "major release"

Note, that there are two generations of JDK 6:  there were major
changes in 6u10.
Also IIRC, some minor changes were in 6u14.

You may want to try 6u7.
Also, beware of this issue (regression since 6u7, still open more than
8 months):

Regarding 6u15 I remember the following thread on this list:
"Tomcat 6.0.20, JDK1.6.0_14 and security manager"
http://markmail.org/thread/igcdgzponj2g5m3n
I do not think that it is your case.  Just one of changes that occurred in 6u14.

Thus:
1. Try with previous JDK releases
2. Try to switch SE Linux to warnings only mode. Look into the system
logs for any messages.

3. Check your network configuration and Tomcat connectors.
What connectors you are using? Whether there is IPv4 or IPv6, or both
on that machine.  One of steps during shutdown is that Tomcat closes
open sockets, and there might be some system-specific issues.

4. Are these hangs occurring with a clean tomcat (without any web
applications), or only when some applications are deployed?

5.
> I've attempted to use jstack and pstack to get a trace of the process during
> shutdown,
> but the server dies before anything useful is logged.

Are the logs empty, or you cannot read them because they are lost?
If the latter, you may try redirecting them somewhere, e.g. over the net.
You may increase details level,  so to see what shutdown steps are
successfully completed before the hang occurs.

6.
> This occurs when shutting down the canned instance, or any other webapp such
> as artifactory.

I do not understand this part of the above phrase: "any other webapp
such as artifactory".
What do you mean by shutting down an webapp? What is "canned"?

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko