A couple of other findings:
- Tomcat 5.5.28 out-of-the-box with its default webapps has no problem
starting with the default (parallel) gc
- As soon as I remove the default webapps, add ours, and modify the
context.xml file to provide it a DataSource, Tomcat hangs. We're definitely
Hibernate and Spring in the mix. I think I'm going to try a Hibernate or
Spring sample webapp to see if it has similar problems.