Hi,

Christopher Schultz-2 wrote:

> It's been demonstrated that you can use the XML parser to include one
> XML file in another file (say, include myhosts.xml from server.xml).
> Given that, you could have a process whereby you update Tomcat
> on-the-fly, but also modify the myhosts.xml file at the same time.

This sounds like a good idea. I was actually looking for something like this
but couldn't find info. Can you give me a URL to more detailed explanation
as to how or what?

I'm sorry for not making my problem clear: I'm not so much concerned with
adding hosts to the server.xml but more with the restart of Tomcat. Right
now I've created 10 dummy virtual host entries in the server.xml so all I
have to do is adjust the domainname in appropriate places. I will look into
the various suggestions in this thread to see if this can be optimized.
However, from the Tomcat docs I understand that any change to server.xml
requires a restart of Tomcat which would mean that the existing (non-dummy)
hosts which are already in production, i.e. up and running, will also be
taken offline. This is the heart of the problem: is there a possibility to
add a new host (or modify the domainname of an existing dummy) to the
server.xml WITHOUT having to restart Tomcat and therefore all hosts that are
already in production?

Somebody suggested using the host manager, but from the Tomcat docs I
understand that the host manager is intended for deploying webapps in a
single domain, i.e.

domainX
  webappA
  webappB