Sylvie Perrin wrote:
André,

I follow your "tutorial" and all outputs in Widows Explorer, DOS Command Window and Linux Window are consistents concerning file names display.
That's good.

For locale set under Linux, here is the output:

LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

That's good too.

I just remind that I have these lines in my tomcat auto-start script :
LC_ALL=fr_FR
export LC_ALL

Thuis, you should probably change, to be the same as your own locale fr_FR.UTF-8 above.

André Warnier a écrit :

The problem is generally unsolvable, if the original entry in the directory can be created in several ways, because there are multiple agents capable of creating it, and these agents use inconsistent encodings.
That's my case.
Actually, entries in the Windows shared should become from "everywhere", with I suppose various encoding. In fact, files I need to process are stored in an external support (CD, USB...) and under Windows, I share the corresponding drive. Then, this shared drive becomes the directory I mount under my Linux system. Note that it is a key requierement having the external support loaded under Windows system ONLY.
The issue can be simpler, if Sylvie's program just opens the directory, reads the filenames that it finds there (whatever their encoding is), into some variable, and then just uses this variable as the filename to open the file and that's it.
I don't understand your point ?
I just try to open my file and read it with a FileInputStream.

Allright. Let me see if I understand correctly your basic issue (not the test program, but the real application you need to create).

- miscellaneous "agents" create files, on some media, which is later connected to a Windows system and becomes a "shared directory". You do not control these agents, nor the file names that they choose to put there.

- your application, running (later) under Tomcat, is supposed to read these files and do something with them.

I suppose that you do not know in advance, what the names of these files will be, and you just have to take what is there. Is that correct ?