Christopher Schultz wrote:

I wonder if Java uses the file.encoding system property (which is set by
the portion of $LC_ALL after the .) to convert bytes returned from the
filesystem into filenames and vice versa.

Yeah, that appears to be the case:

Christopher,
your detailed analysis is impressive and undoubtedly accurate, but beyond what I can swallow right now in Java and after 2 glasses of Spanish wine.
So let me ask a simple question :
- a file named "fichié.txt" has been created in a directory, by a process that spoke iso-8859-1 (so the filename is 10 bytes long). - a Tomcat runs in a process whose locale is set to UTF-8, and an application inside this Tomcat reads the filename from the directory into a Java String variable S.
What happens ?
- does the application get an exception due to invalid encoding ?
- if not, why not ?
- if not, what is now the content, in bytes, of variable S ?