Daniel Wittenberg wrote:
Very true, sorry for so vague. So selinux is turned off, I don't enable unless I have to most of the time.
- Spacewalk = RHN = Linux server management tool
- It is running on CentOS 5 and uses latest tomcat5 RPM's

The problem is I know little to nothing about tomcat, I only figured those were tomcat errors since they were in the catalina.out, but from what you are saying other webapps that run under tomcat can log there too?

Yes. Not the purest recommended practice, but yes.

I mainly posted here because spacewalk isn't working, complains that it can't talk to tomcat on port 8009 (ajp?),
well, that something else you never mentioned before.  At least not here..

and notice these errors and
figured tomcat was having issues.

That help?

A bit, but it's still vague.
For instance, there are umpteen versions of tomcat 5.0.x and tomcat 5.5.x around, and they are quite different, and we have no idea what CentOS 5 might, in their wisdom, consider "the latest rpms". Running the "version.sh" script in tomcat/bin, as previously requested, and pasting the result here would go a long way to provide accurate information to help you. Also, providing the beginning of catalina.out, after a cleanup and a fresh tomcat start, also as previously requested, would probably tell us right away if there is a problem with port 8009, and what it might be.

It's like pulling teeth here..
See, I have no wish to start learning spacewalking unless I have to, and so far it is not very clear why or how that thing would want to talk to Tomcat on its AJP Connector, nor if Tomcat is even trying to provide one.

So if you don't willingly start providing the information requested, I'm gonna wash my hands off it all, and leave you in the hands of Chuck or Pid here. Then, you'll see what "abrupt" means.
;-)

To gain some time, also look around for a tomcat "server.xml" file, and paste here parts of its content : specifically, any uncommented XML <Connector ... > tags you find in there. That server.xml file may be either in (tomcat_install_dir)/conf, or maybe in /etc/tomcat5???
(That would tell us which server ports Tomcat is *supposed* to listen on).

Oh, and something else : usually when Tomcat does not, by default, open an AJPconnector on port 8009, it is either because it is not configured to do so, or because it is, but something else is already using that port. catalina.out would tell us, but if you feel adventurous you may want to try the command :
netstat -pan | grep 8009
at a moment when Tomcat is NOT running. Just to see if you're fishing something. Then you can start Tomcat and do it again, and tell us about the result of both.

Thanks,
Dan