It all depends on the client. IIRC if you set the charset in the content type header to utf-8, like this

contentType="text/html; charset=utf-8"

most browsers will then use utf-8 for HTTP GET and POST requests when responding to the given page.

See this thread for some more information:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/200111.mbox/%3cd913221a882fd31198d90008c75d6909058b4...@cwnl-ams-pri01.nl.compuware.com%3e#archives

Markus