Hi,
   I am in need of some advice. My current setup is a web application
   running on Jboss which serves static and dynamic content, jsp,
   servlets and xml on two non load balanced servers (hot spare using
   mysql replication). It currently uses Http Basic Authentication over
   SSL. This has been fine to date but since I dont use any of EJB or
   related features I think that it is overkill for my application, as
   well as being unflexible w.r.t. deployment and content management as
   the whole site is deployed as a single EAR. Initially it was
   fantastic as it was simple and easy to maintain but now every change
   requires a full build.

I am researching porting my site to Apache 2.2 and Tomcat, and hope to
gain the following.
1. Serve the static content from apache e.g. images, clips sound, text
files etc.
2. Install a CMS to offload content managment to others and also blog
functionality, Wordpress seems to be the tool of choice for ease of
usage and widespread usage, this seems to work fine in my test
environment.
3. Maintain current servlet and jsp (including xml) functionality on
tomcat. Instead of one super application I can deploy servlets as
seperate applications and update them seperately.
4. Use connectors such as mod_jk to load balance and provide failover. I
already have heartbeat and mod_jk installed on in high availabilty mode
using workers in a test environment and this is working as expected.
(Apache 2.2 and tomcat 6 running on centos 5.3).

At this point I have hit a brick wall w.r.t. what to do next. I have
been researching this for the past two weeks and the more I learn the
more I seem to be confused. There is so much documentation on some
things but almost none on others. I always fear that if there is nobody
asking questions about a certain topic it either means that a) There are
no problems using the technology or b) Nobody is using it at all.

My main issue now is about how the authentication works between Tomcat
and Apache.
I would like to use both Form based and http basic authentication on
protected resources running on both apache and tomcat.
i.e. Form based for humans and httpbasic for XML requests over ssl.
I have a user database in mysql containing username and password, roles
are in another table but these could be merged if required.

I also am confused by mod_jk and mod_proxy_ajp, they, seem to have much
feature overlap. mod_proxy_ajp in my view suffers terribly from the
missing "*.jsp" wildcard capability but has a much simpler configuration
and better future prospects as it is bundled with apache 2.2.

In terms of authentication, which should I use, mod_auth_mysql and
mod_auth_dbm (or mod_auth_form in future or something else?) and why?

In terms of single sign on how can I make the user experience seamless
between static content-managed pages and jsp/servlets? Will mod_jk
handle sso? This does not seem clear to me in all the pages I read. If I
configure form based auth in a login.jsp page will this be relayed to
apache after a redirect?

What is best practise and what should I be doing? If there is some hard
to find documentation out there with pointers and tips I would
appreciate a few links. Expert advice is appreciated.
Tony