Hi Neil,
   Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate hearing from someone
   that has actual production experience using these technologies!

To answer your question below, I *could* have all my servlets in one
webapp but that would not be my preference. For example I would like the
capability be able to update a single servlet that serves XML without
affecting any other user interations with the server, or, more
realistically, to completely deploy a new application inluding
jsp/servlets into Tomcat as a customer beta and keep current
applications unaffected. (We have several new applications under
development!)
In addition Some servlets need http basic, some form based auth and
others not even ssl at all!

So from your mail I understand that you only use apache to serve static
pages that are not protected, thereby needing no authentication and
therefore you can contain all your Auth using Tomcat. This is good, how
do you handle ssl? Does Apache terminate any SSL, all ssl or only static
pages?

Tony