From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <chuck.caldar...@unisys.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:57 PM
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject: RE: Tomcat Filter Mapping Issue

From: Patrick Flaherty [mailto:pflah...@rampageinc.com]

To solve it, I simply removed the docBase="" from the <Host> ?

Note that we mentioned an empty docBase was illegal quite some time ago.

You should not have *any* <Context> elements in server.xml. Whatever you've been reading that suggested you do so is sadly out of date, or flat-out wrong. Again, use the real Tomcat doc, not 3rd-party scribblings.

it's ok not to have a docBase ?

There is always a docBase; but when the <Context> elements are properly located, it's calculated automatically from the location of the webapp.

For Tomcat versions starting with 5.0.x, the proper place to put your <Context> elements is in each app's META-INF/context.xml file. When doing so, the path and docBase attributes must be omitted. An alternate location for <Context> elements is in conf/Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml, and again the path attribute must be omitted. You *may* use the docBase attribute in this latter case, but only if the webapp is located outside of the <Host> appBase directory.

Again, post your server.xml and we'll show you what to fix.

- Chuck