2010/1/17 Rick Bragg <li...@gmnet.net>:
> On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 22:36 +0100, André Warnier wrote:
>> Rick Bragg wrote:

>> > I followed all the instructions for the "standard install" (not
>> > stand-alone) then when I re-start tomcat, I can see cyclos in the
>> > manager area, but it does not deploy. When I try to "start" it, I get
>> > the following error:
>> >
>> > FAIL - Application at context path /cyclos could not be started
>> >
>> > and the database remains empty.  And now for some reason there are no
>> > log files anywhere!
>> >
>> If it was working before installing cyclos, and not working anymore
>> afterward, basic intuition would suggest that you might want to enquire
>> on the cyclos support list about the reason.
>> I would otherwise tell you to look in the Tomcat logfiles, but since you
>> are saying that there aren't any, I don't think that there is much
>> anyone here can tell you.
>> Other than the nuclear option of course : de-install cyclos, de-install
>> Tomcat, re-install Tomcat, and see if it works again.
>> The thing is, people here know a bit about Tomcat, but not much about
>> cyclos.
>>

> Thanks, I agree.  So frustrating.  Installing cyclos was only copying
> some files to the webapps directory...  Tomcat should have never broken
> like this.  This is on a production server, thank goodness I don't have
> any other systems using Tomcat right?  Makes me really wonder about
> using Tomcat/Java in production at all...

http://xkcd.com/293/

1. You are running not the original Tomcat version from Apache, but
one repackaged by Ubuntu maintainers.

While they do a good job, there may be differences in their
configuration which we do not know about.

Search the list archives for Ubuntu-related questions.

You may consider downloading official Tomcat release from tomcat.apache.org.

At least, you should figure what version of Tomcat you are using.

2 . Tomcat logs are by default located in
$CATALINA_BASE/logs
and are configured in
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/logging.properties

3. I have heard that Tomcat under Ubuntu runs with Security Manager
enabled by default. If cyclos provides its own logging configuration,
reading it can be prohibited by the security policy (see
conf/catalina.policy).

4. Besides *.log files there is always a catalina.out file (or how it
is named there?), where stdout and stderr of Tomcat instance are
redirected. If logging is not functioning you would better look in
that file.

5. Tomcat is usually started by calling
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh start
or
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh start -security
which launches Tomcat and redirects its stderr/stdout.
The second command launches it with SecurityManager enabled

You can launch it also by the following commands:
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh run
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh run -security
In this case the stdout/stderr won't be redirected and you will see
the output in your console window.

6. http://tomcat.apache.org/
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ

Best regards,