> Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException:
> Communications link failure
To me this looks like it's outside of tomcat.  Check that mysql is up,
listening on tcp port 3306 (the standard mysql port) and there aren't
any firewalls causing problems between tomcat and mysql.  If you can on
the Ubuntu box, su to the tomcat user acct and try connecting with mysql
using the client program:  mysql -P 3306 -h [mysql server hostname] -p
-u [username for cyclos].  Replace the [...] in the command with real
data and see what happens.

--David