> From: Laird Nelson [mailto:ljnel...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Still unable to get a heap dump from Tomcat running on Windows
> as a service
>
> I am still unable to get Tomcat to dump heap when it encounters an
> OutOfMemoryError.

You appear to be unique in that regard, since no one else seems to be having
that problem.

> I'm using the graphical program that comes up when you select "Monitor
> Tomcat" from the Windows Start Menu.  I assume this is TomcatW.exe?

Not quite; it's tomcat6w.exe (note the digit and no caps).

> I have Tomcat 6.0.20 running as a service under the default
> local user account

What's a "default local user account"?  Try using a real account, possibly one
in the administrators group to see if that makes a difference.

> set to be allowed to interact with the desktop

Not needed.

> I've specified -XX:HeapDumpPath=C:\crap, and -XX:HeapDumpPath=C:/crap
> to no avail.

Try just leaving that parameter out.

> I've set the working path for the Startup and Shutdown tabs
> to C:\crap and C:/crap with no effect.

The Shutdown working path doesn't matter, since that's not normally used.  Try
setting the Startup path to the Tomcat installation directory after
reinstalling Tomcat.  The direction of the slash doesn't seem to matter; I get
the .hprof file generated in the designated directory regardless of which I use.

> I've set memory to a minimum of 512 and a maximum of 1024 MB.

You normally want those to be the same for a server environment to avoid heap
thrashing.

> I entered the JVM options one per line.

That is a requirement.

> The tomcat documentation says to enter them separated by either
> a "#" or a ";"

That's for command-line usage, not the GUI.

> Does anyone have any other suggestions to try before giving up on
> Tomcat in favor of either Jetty or (God help me) JBoss?

Sounds like a baby with the bathwater solution...

I would try removing the existing Tomcat service, reinstalling the current
(6.0.24) Tomcat from the .zip download, using the service.bat script to create
the service, and only then try recreating the OOM problem.  Unpack the .zip
download into someplace other than C:\Program Files.  Also try setting the
Level on the Logging tab to Debug rather than Error to see if that shows
anything interesting.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.