> From: Laird Nelson [mailto:ljnel...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Still unable to get a heap dump from Tomcat running on
> Windows as a service
>
> I'm not a Windows guy, so bear with me for a moment:

I'm not sure there's anyone who really understands Windows security.

> Or is there some other privilege setting that says even if there's
> permission granted to the filesystem, the system account shalt not
> write even unto it?

Windows security settings are truly bizarre, and the Local System Account is
subject to restrictions that don't seem to make any sense.  It certainly *can*
write some files, otherwise Tomcat wouldn't be able to function at all.  BTW,
on Vista, you can't seem to change the account the Tomcat service runs under
with the GUI tool - it has to be done with the Administrative Tools -> Services
snapin; don't know if that's true for Server 2K3.

I just tried forcing an OOME dump with Tomcat running under the Local System
Account - and it worked.  This is under Vista 64, not Server 2K3, and starting
with the .zip download.

You could always try downloading and installing the .zip version in an
alternate location, and install the service under an alternate name just for
testing.  I don't have access to a Server 2K3 system to play with.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.