Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: Curtis Garman [mailto:curt.gar...@gmail.com]
Subject: Re: tomcat 6.0.18 shutdown address

yes...this is what I was told...thanks all for the info

Unfortunately, pretty much all of what André wrote was wrong, as Mark explained.

I apologise for the nonsense I wrote.
Let me try again, more precisely and without dates :

With a configuration entry like this :
<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
it means that :

- Tomcat opens a server (LISTEN) socket bound to IP address 127.0.0.1 and port 8005. - Since address 127.0.0.1 is the "local loopback" address on any host, a process can only connect to it from the local host, and from nowhere else. - To use this to trigger a Tomcat shutdown, a local process must connect to 127.0.0.1:8005 and send the string "SHUTDOWN" over that connection.

So basically, it is not that Tomcat refuses connections on that port from anywhere else, it's that it is not possible to connect to that port from anywhere else.

And this has been the case since at least Tomcat 4.0.
Was this better ?