Christopher Schultz wrote:

André,

On 2/19/2010 5:45 AM, André Warnier wrote:
- Since address 127.0.0.1 is the "local loopback" address on any host, a
process can only connect to it from the local host, and from nowhere else.

Yes, but things like SSH tunnels can be used to allow a remote client to
perform a shutdown.

Of course, but you are splitting hairs here. In such a case, the remote client is really connected to a local ssh shell, and the local ssh shell is the process connecting to the loopback address. CQFD.
One could also connect via ssh directly, then issue a
telnet localhost 8005
SHUTDOWN
^]
I never tried this by the way. I wonder if Tomcat responds something.
Have to find an instance of Tomcat which I can shut down.