André Warnier wrote:
Pid wrote:
On 24/02/2010 17:17, Mark H. Wood wrote:
An alternative approach:  you could pump the messages through a
mailing-list digest builder.  You may get 100 messages in five
minutes, but you only get interrupted once.

Sorry, I've never run a digested list so I don't have a name handy.

That's smart, like it.

Another similar but simpler way would be to have the application write messages to a simple logfile, and then have a separate application (like a shell script under cron), which runs at the frequency you want, pick up the content of that file, mail it to you all at once, optionally archive the logfile (cat >> somewhere.else), and reset the logfile (truncate it to 0 size).

A bit of awk (or perl) magic might even summarise this with neat
".. above message repeated nn times .."
stuff.
Come to think of it, the whole thing in perl is probably a 10-liner, using a hundreth of the memory you'd need with Java.

Boom, troll, flame,...