To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2010 8:57 AM
Subject: Re: SSL with IBM JVM

On 8 March 2010 12:53, Carl <c...@etrak-plus.com> wrote:

Switched to the latest IBM JVM last Friday.  We run https for all
applications as we deal mostly with children's data. About 10% of the users
experienced problems with accessing the site.  Both IE and Firefox caused
problems. Switching them to http eliminated the problem but we can not run
that way on a regular basis.

Here is what we have done:

IE - IE 6 simply doesn't work.  If IE 8 is installed, removing it and
reinstalling it seems to allow it to work.  If both IE and Firefox are
installed, both must be removed and IE 8 installed first followed by Firefox
seems to allow IE 8 to work.

Firefox - The 'Use TLS 1.0' must be selected but it still doesn't always
seem to work.  Sometimes (I can't tell you the characteristics), the
customer must go through the remove and re-install process described above.

I believe the remove and re-install process is likely setting some value to
the one that allows the browser to work.  Does anyone have any idea what
that setting would be to avoid all this removing/re-installing?

There are a number of possibilities. Could you give us any more detail on
which particular "doesn't work" you're getting? Browser hangs? Blank pages
returned?  Certificate errors?  Error messages from browsers or server?

- Peter