To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2010 10:41 AM
Subject: Re: SSL with IBM JVM

On 08/03/2010 12:53, Carl wrote:
I am trying the IBM JVM as a possible cure for the problem 'Tomcat dies suddenly'.

A quick recap:

New Dell T110
Slackware 13 - 64 bit
Tomcat 6.0.24

The problem: Tomcat would die suddenly without any entry in any log but would leave a core file that indicated the JVM exited with a seg fault.

I had been using the Sun JVM 1.6.0_18. I have tried 1.6.0_16 (because Taylan said his system started a similar problem when he went from 1.6.0_16 to 1.6.0_18) but not 1.6.0_9 (as Chuck suggested.)

Switched to the latest IBM JVM last Friday. We run https for all applications as we deal mostly with children's data. About 10% of the users experienced problems with accessing the site. Both IE and Firefox caused problems. Switching them to http eliminated the problem but we can not run that way on a regular basis.

Here is what we have done:

IE - IE 6 simply doesn't work. If IE 8 is installed, removing it and reinstalling it seems to allow it to work. If both IE and Firefox are installed, both must be removed and IE 8 installed first followed by Firefox seems to allow IE 8 to work.

Firefox - The 'Use TLS 1.0' must be selected but it still doesn't always seem to work. Sometimes (I can't tell you the characteristics), the customer must go through the remove and re-install process described above.

I believe the remove and re-install process is likely setting some value to the one that allows the browser to work. Does anyone have any idea what that setting would be to avoid all this removing/re-installing?

Thanks,

Carl

Carl,

Please don't hijack threads.

When you want to send an email to the list, just editing the subject line and the body isn't enough, most email clients leave the headers, (which contain the thread information), intact.