Alright, done....removed every instance of tomcat-dbcp.jar I could find (save
for the instance that SHOULD be there) and I do finally get a different error,
this one seeming more SQL, and specifically ORACLE-related, in nature.

Now the Oracle driver is initially called (and found) to pull back a tabled
page of data, no problem.

Clicking thru subsequently to a simple JSP with the Context in it produces the
following errors:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: An exception occurred processing JSP page
/chgctrl_details.jsp at line 83

80: DataSource ds = (DataSource) envCtx.lookup("jdbc/myoracle");
81:   */
82: // Allocate and use a connection from the pool
83:  connection = ds.getConnection();
<-------------------------------------------------   here, but then

javax.servlet.ServletException: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException:
Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (ORA-00923: FROM keyword not found
where expected
)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doHandlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:862)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:791)

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create
PoolableConnectionFactory (ORA-00923: FROM keyword not found where expected
)

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1225)

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:880)

java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00923: FROM keyword not found where expected

        oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:134)
        oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTIoer.processError(TTIoer.java:289)
        oracle.jdbc.ttc7.Oall7.receive(Oall7.java:582)
        oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.doOall7(TTC7Protocol.java:1986)

Just provided snippets from each of these errors, not the entire set of
references on down.

The logs - basically the same.

Java.sql.SQLException:  ORA-00923: FROM keyword not found where expected

Any ideas from this? I'm not yet inclined to think it's fully an Oracle error
yet. But I could be wrong about that. : )