> From: bill.turner [mailto:worldwidewi...@gmail.com]
> Subject: newbie: accessing tomcat admin page from another machine
>
> I thought I should be able to access the administrator from
> other machines in my network using the latter but I cannot.

What exactly do you mean by "administrator"?  What exact URL are you using from
the alternate machines?  What exactly happens when you try?  (In case you
haven't figured it out yet, you need to be specific when you report problems.)

> I can see various hal9000 shared directories from windows
> explorer, including the tomcat home on hal9000.

Not really relevant; that just shows Windows networking to be functional, which
uses different mechanisms to resolve host names.

> what I am doing wrong.

1) Is the name "hal9000" known via DNS to the other machines?

2) Try using the fully qualified DNS name of the target machine.

3) Try using the IP address of the target machine.

4) Insure that firewalls on hal9000 and the other machines are not blocking
connections.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.