If you have IIS running on the box, it should be able to do it like you're
thinking.

I've done that on my network at home.

-----Original Message-----
From: bill turner [mailto:worldwidewi...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:21 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: newbie: accessing tomcat admin page from another machine

It does appear that there was a firewall issue. I had to open port 8080. I can
now use the ip address: http://192.168.0.198:8080/.

I did think that windows would look for specific machine names in the network
first. And, that is what I would really like to do. It'd be a lot easier than
looking up the ip address every time I want to access tomcat (or any
application I have deployed on that machine). I have not been able to find
anything, thus far, about setting up my own dns. As all I really want to do is
deploy apps to that server and run them from the local network, I am hoping
there is an easy solution that I have yet to uncover.