> From: Ian Hubbard [mailto:sum.of.pri...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 6 - slow response times outside of data center
>
> To try to cut down on the number of variables, on the client machine
> I've tested both with and without hosts file entries.

Have you tried a simple tracert to and from each machine to see how the network
responds?

>                 <Context docBase="ROOT" path="" reloadable="false"
> caseSensitive="false">
>                 </Context>
>                 <Context path="/iimages"
> docBase="\\servername\data\iimage<file://servername/data/iimage>"
> reloadable="false" caseSensitive="false">
>                 </Context>
>                 <Context path="/audio"
> docBase="\\servername\data\audio<file://servername/data/audio>"
> reloadable="false" caseSensitive="false">
>                 </Context>
>                 <Context path="/custom"
> docBase="\\servername\data\custom<file://servername/data/custom>"
> reloadable="true" caseSensitive="false">
>                 </Context>

The above is really, really bad practice.  Having <Context> elements in
server.xml is strongly discouraged; they should be in either each webapp's
META-INF/context.xml file, or in conf/Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml when the
webapp is located outside of the <Host>'s appBase directory.  Also, using a
remote docBase may well be contributing to the sluggishness - best to keep a
copy of the webapp on the server that's running it.  Windows networking
produces some really behavior on occasion.

>                 <Context docBase="ROOT_Training" path=""
> reloadable="false"
> caseSensitive="false">
>                 </Context>

That one got you double-deployment; again, don't put <Context> elements in
server.xml.

>                 <Context path="/iimages"
> docBase="@datastore.path.root_train...@\iimage" reloadable="false"
> caseSensitive="false">
>                 </Context>
>                 <Context path="/audio"
> docBase="@datastore.path.root_train...@\audio" reloadable="false"
> caseSensitive="false">
>                 </Context>
>                 <Context path="/custom"
> docBase="@datastore.path.root_train...@\custom" reloadable="true"
> caseSensitive="false">
>                 </Context>

I have no idea what the above docBase references do...

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.