Hi.
I am a bit busy right now, and I'll have more time tonight to answer.
But in short, if you are using jCIFS until now, then Jespa is really a drop-in replacement. You get the user-id via getRemoteUser() just the same way. Only web.xml changes, the application does not, as far as I know.
But we'll look at the other possibilities later.
For now, maybe make sure that IIS is /really/ authenticating the URLs that go to Tomcat. You may need to tell IIS something, for it to do that.

savoym wrote:
My understanding is that IIS+ jk redirector is suppose to give us windows
authentication what I cannot find either on the IIS website or the Apache
Tomcat Connector website is HOW one gets to the authentication properties. I've read the HOW to get it setup but that is as far as it goes on the
Apache Tomcat Connector website.

I am hoping that this is still a viable solution.  We did look at Jespa and
talked to Michael Allen extensively.  Unfortunately, we have a security
paradigm that is underlying our entire web app.  I have no time to re-write
my app.  Our app currently uses JCIFS but some of our users are using
Windows 7/IE 8 and because JCIFS does not work with NTLMv2 the web app no
longer comes up on Windows 7 that does not use NTLMv1.

There in lies my dilemma.  I appreciate again all the help.  Hopefully
someone who has made this work will reply.

Regards.

awarnier wrote:
savoym wrote:
Thanks again for the reply.
I do already have the tomcatAuthentication="false" setting as you stated
below and I had tried the getRemoteUse() from the HttpRequestServlet but
that unfortunately did not work unless I did something wrong.

I will try again but I do not think that is working.  Again, I appreciate
the time and help.

No problem, that's why we're here.
As mentioned earlier, I'm not too sure that this works with IIS and the mod_jk redirector for IIS. I am working on the assumption that it does the same thing as Apache/mod_jk : if Apache already has a user-id, then mod_jk forwards it to Tomcat. When in Tomcat the tomcatAuthentication="false" is set, Tomcat accepts this user-id from Apache/mod_jk instead of trying to get its own.
Maybe IIS+ jk redirector does the same, maybe not.

If not, there is another possibility : if IIS authenticates the user, it /might/ automatically add a HTTP header to the request, before even forwarding it to Tomcat through the redirector. If so, a servlet filter at the Tomcat level might be able to pick up this header, extract the user-id, and pass it to your webapp in a way it can use it.

If all of that is negative, then you need something like the Jespa filter from ioplex. That filter /will/ authenticate the call on the base of the user's domain user-id, and set it in Tomcat, allowing your webapp to pick it up via getRemoteUser(). This is a certainty, not a guess. I use this often.