On 06/01/2010 11:45 AM, Pid wrote:
On 01/06/2010 17:36, Jeff Ramin wrote:
On 05/29/2010 08:30 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
2010/5/29 Pid<p...@pidster.com>:

On 28/05/2010 19:07, Jeff Ramin wrote:

Running tomcat 5.5.20.

Is there a way to configure tomcat such that it is aware of a webapp
(context),
but doesn't start it (process requests) when tomcat starts?

Kinda.  Examine the docs, look at the Host and Context attributes, for
'deployOnStartup', 'autoDeploy' and 'reloadable'.  Depending on what you
need it might be all-or-nothing situation though.

It is possible to turn off auto-deploy (autoDeploy, deployOnStartup),
i.e. the webapplication will be present in webapps folder, but it will
not be running, nor will it be listed by Tomcat Manager.

Deploying a webapplication, though, always starts it.

If a webapplication is included as a<Context>   element in server.xml
(usually not recommended), it is always deployed and started when
server starts, regardless of deployOnStartup option.

Besides the documentation, you may also want to look at the archives
of this list.  deployOnStartup/autoDeploy were discussed several
times.

Thanks. I just read the thread from a couple weeks ago regarding autoDeploy
and deployOnStartup. I'm still not quite sure I can make tomcat do what
I want it
to, so let me be explicit...

I want to start an application via JMX. Thus, tomcat needs to be
running, so that
the JMX agent is available. But, I don't want my web application to be
available
until it gets explicitly started as the result of a JMX invocation of a
WebModule bean.

Does that make sense? Is this possible? I haven't been able to make it
work on my
dev machine thus far.
If you start with deployOnStartup, autoDeploy, reloadable all configured
to false in the app's Host and Context you should be able to start
Tomcat without any app deployment taking place.
Yes, I've been able to do this. However, given this configuration, the WebModule bean(s)
is not available for starting my app via JMX.

--
Jeff Ramin
Software Engineer

Phone Direct - 608.661.1172