David kerber wrote on 09.06.2010 15:45:
On 6/9/2010 9:36 AM, Thomas Kloeber wrote:
Is this such an unusal thing that one has to configure webapp files with
site specific information?
Beyond 1-time initial configuration, I would say it is unusual.
it is a 1-time configuration, not something that needs to be done over and over again.
How do people do it?
In my case, the site-specific settings are either in the backing database or in a separate properties file, and all can be configured from within the application itself (using a separate administrative login, of course). As part of the method that saves the settings to permanent storage, I also apply them to the application's current settings so they take effect immediately.
the problems I have are:

   * the IP address of the backing database is one of the parameters
     that needs to be configured (in context.xml), so I can't get any
     data from the db unless it is configured...
   * the other confgurables (SPNEGO and kerberos stuff)  are in web.xml
     and as long as they are not set up correct, my app won't start!
   * sounds like a catch 22 to me ...

--
Intelligent Communication Software Vertriebs GmbH
Firmensitz: Kistlerhof Str. 111, 81379 München