I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but I just checked how
our stuff is set up here and wondered if you have the jvm route mapped
in the server xml for the tomcat instances you want loadbalanced?

<Engine jvmRoute="route_7" name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost">

Paul

Tomcats:

All of them have a jvmRoute of pub-app0X, where X goes from 1 to 5.

mod_proxy
========
proxy.conf
-----------

         ProxyPass balancer://public_web_cluster/
stickysession=JSESSIONID lbmethod=byrequests
         ProxyPassReverse balancer://public_web_cluster/
</Location>
</VirtualHost>

mod_ajp_proxy
===========

mod_proxy_ajp.conf
----------------------
         ProxyPass balancer://pubLB/ stickysession=JSESSIONID nofailover=on
         ProxyPassReverse balancer://pubLB/
</Location>
</VirtualHost>

This isn't likely to be the core problem, but it's worth bearing in
mind.  If you're using mod_proxy you need to put:

  stickysession=JSESSIONID|jsessionid

I have tried both ways and I still get no stickyness. I was trying to simplify it in order to check minimise the possibility of errors.

to ensure you're capturing both the URL encoded and cookie based session
ids.  Unfortunately, because RHEL/Centos insist on deploying HTTPD with
the version number set when they released the OS, it's virtually
impossible to tell whether your HTTP is actually 2.2.3, or 2.2.3 +
important fixes, additions etc from 2.2.(n>  3).

mod_proxy_ajp was first released in 2.2.3 for example, and many
improvements occurred in later releases.

The CentOS version is 2.2.3 + a million patches. The only way to find out what they have changed is to go through the changelogs.

It makes things more stable from an API point of view but it surely makes hard not only finding out where the issue lies, but also if upgrading version will fix it.

Thanks

Gabriel