----- Original Message ----- From: "André Warnier" <a...@ice-sa.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 5:30 PM
Subject: Re: UTF-8 encoding in Tomcat 6.0 fixed

michel wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "michel" <compu...@videotron.ca>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 1:08 PM
Subject: Re: UTF-8 encoding in Tomcat 6.0

----- Original Message ----- From: "michel" <compu...@videotron.ca>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 9:35 AM

I am having a simmilar problem with Tomcat Version 6.0.26. I have a JSP with some french characters that run quite well on my local windows machine.When I transfer the JSP source code to the Linux server the JSP gets converted to java source code with the wrong character set. I have played with all kinds of variations of

<%@ page language="java" errorPage="/ErrorPage.jsp" pageEncoding="ISO-8859-1" contentType="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"%>

with no change. I am assuming that my jsp to servlet is set wrong ...

Michel

Just looking for a hint here in the right direction ...

The JSP is compiled by jasper-compiler-jdt.jar, but in the previous versions it was javac. So I assume that the reason why my French characters in the jsp are being whacked when converted to a .java file is that I am missing a configuration parameter in a file.

Thanks!

Michel

Got it fixed with <%@ page language="java" errorPage="/ErrorPage.jsp" contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" pageEncoding="ISO-8859-1" %>

See : http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/syntax/1.2/syntaxref1210.html

# contentType="mimeType [; charset=characterSet ]" |

       "text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"

The MIME type and character encoding the JSP page uses for the response. You can use any MIME type or character set that are valid for the JSP container. The default MIME type is text/html, and the default character set is ISO-8859-1.

# pageEncoding="characterSet | ISO-8859-1"

The page source character encoding. The value is a IANA charset name. The default character encoding is ISO-8859-1.

Thanks for the info, and I took a look at the page link you showed. It can be a real eye-opener to look at actual specs and to see stuff that I had no idea even exists.

Michel
^anks fior